Thursday, August 9, 2012

Raw Shea Butter Vs Shea Body Butter




There's so many lotions and body butters out there that have a Shea butter base,but have you ever considered checking out the real thing?
The Raw Shea Butter
In this post,I want to show you which does what ( Shea butter and Shea body butter) and which one is better in my opinion.


SHEA BUTTER

Meet the Shea Butter. This amazing African product has been used for generations by women all over their body. Shea Butter is a fat extracted from the nuts of the African Shea tree.It actually is edible and is used for cooking in many parts of Africa.

I baught 1kg of Shea butter a while ago from a certified cooperative from Ghana. If you do a Google search,you will find a lot of such cooperatives yourself . The one that I got it from is Akoma.
It comes in chunks in a sealed bag and smells incredible. It's what you would expect such a pure product to smell like.


What you need to be careful about is to get unrefined shea butter,so the one that has an ivory color. If it's white,it probably has been bleached and you don't want any chemicals on your skin,do you?

Ingredients:


As you can see,it's organic,raw,unrefined,fairtrade and made up of 100% Shea butter.
I got this for under 20 Euros, including shipping from the UK.
Pretty unbeatable price for so much goodness,isn't it?

 The Pros:
  • 100% natural!
  • No chemicals,parabens or ingredients that  might cause your skin to react badly
  • You can use it for anything and everything: as a moisturizer for body and nails(nails sometimes tend to break because they are too dry),as a face cream,even as a hair treatment! (And I've tried them all)
  • It also has medicinal properties,such as reducing inflammations and calming your skin
  • It can also absorb UV rays,making it a good sunblock 
  • Is easily absorbed by your skin,because it melts at body temperature and doesn't leave any oily traces, which is really practical if you're in a hurry

The Cons:
  • Truthfully,I have yet to find an argument against it


SHEA BODY BUTTER
 
We've all used Shea based body butters at one point or another.It's a good ingredient for a moisturizer to have and of course,it nourishes your skin,but could it be doing less good than you expect?


I've had this Body Shop Shea Body Butter and have also used it,but after using raw Shea butter,I started finding this one a bit too watery. You clearly can't compare the texture of a natural fat with something created in a laboratory.

Ingredients:

There are more ingredients on that list but the problems that stand out are the Paraben and then the other Paraben ...
There's also the Xanthan Gum which is derived from some ingredients that may cause allergies.


The Pros:
  • It's accessible and widely available
  • It will nourish the skin
  • Contains Shea butter,but no percentage is specified on ingredient lists

The Cons:
  • Contains ingredients that can be harmful 
  • Usually has Parabens in their composition
  • Clearly overpriced
  • Some of these products might have been tested on animals



Conclusion:
I'd definitely go for the raw shea butter!
Price-wise,you will get better quality and more quantity than you would get in a store bought body butter.
 Not to mention the fact that one is 100% natural and the other...not so much.
So when it's this easy,why not go natural and save some bunnies from being tested on in the process?


You can also Follow on * Twitter * Facebook *

14 comments:

  1. That is really interesting and I am annoyed that I never considered looking for real shea butter before. Once I have a job this is deffo something I will be investing in! Good job.


    http://razzledazzleandrocknroll.blogspot.co.uk/ I am trying to get my followers up at the moment so if you like what you see I will greatly appreciate your follow :).

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you get half or 1kg,you'll have enough for a very very long time! I still swim quite a bit and each time,post chlorine soak,shea butter is my go-to moisturizer

      Delete
  2. Nominated youu
    xx
    http://takingovertheworldapairofshoesatatime.blogspot.com/2012/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you Shea butter is not a mystery anymore! raw one is my next purchase.

    Oh, I found you through BBU Blog Hop.

    Would appreciate if you coud find the time to hop over to my blog. It would mean so much!

    Take care dear :)

    Selma

    http://meteobeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. checking it out right now! :)

      And you'll fall in love with shea butter it once you try it!

      Delete
  4. Great to know about the pure shea butter, as I suffer from eczema and need something natural and gentle like this. I'm excited now about trying it! :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really does wonders! This is the one thing that calms my skin after waxing or shaving without leaving residue that might end up looking not pretty

      Delete
  5. I've got to get my hands on some of this. I try to use as many products that dont test on animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always send you some in the swap so you can try and fall hopelessly in love with it hehe

      Delete
  6. I read your post and i like it. You really give your valuable information and link. Thank you for sharing................
    Raw Shea Butter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shea Butter is a skin superfood that comes from the seeds of the fruit of the Shea tree and that is naturally rich in vitamins A, E and F. It offers UV protection and provides the skin with essential fatty acids and the nutrients necessary for collagen production. Shea Butter has been used in Africa and other countries for years to improve skin and hair. Check African Shea Butter here it is always available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think shea butter is like the new magic beauty thing! It's good for hair, body, face, and lips! I am seriously considering buying a branded raw shea butter probably with some scent like oud or musk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Informative post! Shop online body butter that has a unique formula that provides 24-hour hydration and helps restore the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best thing I like about Shea Butter Unrefined Yellow is that it's made without pesticides, just 100% pure shea butter! It's great for moisturizing and very rich in vitamins also.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...